Saturday, June 29, 2019

Modern French Army - Part 3, The Vehicles

The modernity that I can reach with my French force is, like the infantry, limited by the vehicles available for purchase.  The likes of QRF and, later,  Battlefront Miniatures are hard to beat.  QRF does nearly everything, while Battlefront doesn't do as much, but damn it if they don't do it well.  The biggest shout out goes to Irishserb's Miniatures.  His vehicles really fleshed out the lighter and middle areas that: 1. Nobody else does, and 2. are what I absolutely needed for the smaller scale actions we are wargaming.  Furthermore, he went above and beyond on occasions to get me things.  Can't thank him enough.

Information wise, there is a lot of good information on the Internet.  If there are things tank-related, there are usually passionate throngs of people who can hyper analyze them to levels no one could ever care about.  There are still discrepancies, but there are a number of reasons for this and usually there is a middle ground to land on rather than get too bogged down.

As far as books go: I have found a number of good books.  Barnes and Noble bargains yielded some good finds. Unfortunately in the US the books tend to focus on the US, giving only a few sentences and data lines to less well recognized vehicles.  Again I'll tout the book VEHICULES DE COMBAT FRANCAIS D'AUJOURD'HUI by Yves Debay as a one-stop shop.  It's in French, so you'll encounter hiccups with electronic translators, but the data (numbers) don't change.  It covers everything.  From tanks, armored cars, infantry transports and weapons, soft skins, artillery, and SAMs. Well beyond what I needed it for.  It even has a section on "the future" VBCI, which has since been deployed.

A lot of good information.  Some better than others.

PAINTING:
I really do hate painting.  In my procrastinations I ironically spent more time saving pictures of French vehicles than it did for me to actually paint them.  The pictures were not without their use.  In the past, I used a very quick and dirty method for painting camouflage, but for the these I tried to replicate the actual patterns used.

QRF VABs (multiple variants) and AMX-10 RC



Irishserb's VBLs (multiple variants), P-4s and ERC-90 Sagaie

Battlefront Miniatures AMX-30 vs QRF AMX-30

Battlefront AU F-1


First goes on the brown
(I always do one figure/vehicle first for reference)

Second the black

Finally the green.

I debated with myself as to do the antennae before or after painting was complete.  With the exceptions of the ERC-90s, I did them afterward.  It was a much better choice because I could easily and safely manipulate the models while painting.  I chose a plastic rod that is probably way too thick for an antenna, but I'm hoping it will last longer in the hands of the players.

Attached to the vehicles is generic vehicle stowage elements that QRF sells.  I actually added these after finishing the models because I wanted to add more realism.

THE VEHICLES:

Peugeot VLTT P4
(Irishserb's Miniatures)
The VLTT (vehicule de liaison tout terrain) P-4 was designed to replace France's aging Jeep fleet.  It can be para-dropped and armed with a number of weapons including: 12.7mm and 7.62 machine guns, MILAN ATGMs, and Mistral SAMs.  I've attached some spare machine guns from Peter Pig.

VBLs and VBL RECO 12.7
(Irishserb's Miniatures)
VBL MILAN
(Irishserb's Miniatures)
The VBL (Vehicule Blinde Leger) [Light Armored Vehicle], is a multipurpose vehicle.  The standard VBL has a  7.62mm machine gun, but across it's many variants can carry ATGMs, and 12.7mm machine guns.  The VBLs armor is light, only being protected from 7.62 NATO rounds and shrapnel, but it is maneuverable.  It is fully amphibious, can be para-dropped and carried underslung by helicopters.  I have two of the standard VBLs, two of the VBL MILANs and 1 of the VBL with 12.7 machine gun turret.  For the turret, I cut down an extra torso and head from a Peter Pig figure and stuck in inside.

VAB VTT with 7.62 machine guns
(QRF)

VAB VTT with 12.7 HMG
(QRF*)
The VAB (Vehicule de l'avant blinde) [armored vanguard vehicle] VTT (Vehicule Transport de Troupe) [troop transport vehicle] is capable of transporting 10 passengers along with it's 2 crew members.  The VAB entered service in 1976 and is dated by modern standards.  It has seen many upgrades, including the armor which increased protection from heavy machine guns and mines.
After finding the QRF machine guns/shields too fiddly, I attached three 7.62 machine guns that were extras included by Irishserb's Miniatures in one of my orders.  *Also from Irishserb, I used an extra heavy machine gun turret from a VBL to add some extra power to my infantry transport.  Using the same method as before, I stuffed an extra Peter Pig figure in as a gunner.  The turret still tends to fall out, but it's not too big of a problem.

VAB SAN and VAB Genie
(QRF)

VTM 81
(QRF)

With the list of variants being extensive, the VAB comes in any manner you can think of.  Literally any task or armament is within it's scope.  The VAB Sanitaire is the armored ambulance version, capable of carrying 5 stretchers or 10 sitting passengers.  The VAB Genie (engineering vehicle) is actually listed as the VAB Echelon (maintenance and repair vehicle) on QRFs website, under the "command" vehicles for the French.  It comes with a very strange looking turret that I have not been able to locate in any pictures.  I simplified the matter by removing it, sticking on another Irishserb machine gun and rechristening it as a Genie.
The VTM 81 is a VAB with an 81mm mortar mounted on a turntable inside.  I have only ever seen one picture of this vehicle and it is not listed in any of the many "variants" lists I have seen.   In any case, I thought it was cool, so I bought one.

ERC-90 Sagaie
(Irishserb's Miniatures)
The ERC-90 (Engin a Roues, Canon) Sagaie (assegai in French) is an armored reconnaissance vehicle with the additional role of a tank destroyer.  French recon units can do more than just observe and report.  Per their doctrine they equipped to recon via stealth as well as through active combat.  The armor is still extremely light, which is fitting for their doctrine that calls for mobility and a first-hit kills.  Armed with a 90mm cannon, it was a formidable opponent to enemy armor.  It is iconic to French forces in Africa as well as the Balkans.  At the time of writing this, the ERC-90 appears to be nearly completely phased out of active service, being replaced by the AMX-10 RCR until the EBRC Jaguar is complete.  For the meantime, I can still use it in all it's past conflicts, as well as a few fictional engagements.  I took extra LMGs and their ring mounts included by Irishserb to further enhance a very crisp and detailed model.

AMX-10 RC
(QRF)
The AMX-10 RC (Roues-Canon) [wheeled gun], is another of France's extremely powerful reconnaissance vehicles.  Armed with a 105mm cannon it can deliver kills to MBTs that dwarf it's size.  It was used extensively by the French in the Gulf War, as well as serving in the Balkans and Afghanistan.  In Africa, its updated versions saw combat in the Ivory Coast as well as the current action in Mali.  Presently, no one sells the updated version AMX-10 RCR (with very noticeable additional armor applied) which would most likely be deployed at this time.  The RCR currently has replaced the ERC-90, but that is only temporary.  The RCR is no longer being produced and will eventually be replaced by the aforementioned EBRC Jaguar.
I've said in a previous post that this model is pretty ugly.  With a better paintjob than the bland white of my UN force, it makes it look a lot better.  Adding the stowage and another spare Irishserb LMG gives it just enough flavor to keep it from being replaced.

AMX-30
(Battlefront Miniatures)

AU F1
(Battlefront Miniatures)
The AMX-30 is an obsolete French main battle tank.  It never saw service in sub-Saharan Africa.  The AU F1 is still in (limited) service, but it also never saw service in my area of focus.  I acquired them because, at the time, you could only get the Battlefront Gazelle helicopters in their army deal.  I painted them for the simple desire to limit the amount of unfinished models laying about.


THE FUTURE:


Under the James Bond villain-esque name: SCORPION program, the French army is on the cusp of rolling out their new vehicles. (EBRC Jaguar replacing the ERC-90 and AMX-10 RCR in 2020, the VT4 to finish replacing the P4 by 2025, the proposed VBAE replacing the VBL in 2025, the VBMR Griffon replacing the VAB from 2018-2025, and the VBMR-L Serval variant also replacing the VAB but in the air-mobile brigade)  Already in service since 2008 is the VBCI infantry fighting vehicle. It replaced the AMX-10P that was withdrawn from service in 2015. Sadly, there is no one who makes a VBCI model currently.

The SCORPION program will change the appearance of the French army quite drastically, and will put a cap on what I can theoretically represent with my miniatures.  20 and 28 mm is often where you see the "ultra modern" stuff come out,  but I'm hoping there will be an enterprising company that will start making the next generation of French vehicles in 15mm.

In all I'm happy with the way these models turned out.  Only minor effort on my part like adding the aerials, stowage and machine guns, was needed to really make more distinct than my usual body of work.  If I wasn't so slow and evasive when it comes to painting, I would replace the VABs and AMX-10 RC with the new Battlefront ones.  They are much sharper but I can't really justify replacing models when I still have so many things to work on. The only thing I might do is go through and add some more French flags hanging from the aerials. They appear in many of the pictures I saved and I think adds some additional flash.

Tricolours


4 comments:

  1. Great work. Love the VBL's. Good work on the camouflage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are a pretty cool looking vehicle.

      Delete
  2. Take a look at Normandy Miniatures they will be doing a plastic kit of AMX10 RC,RCR and Sper. models

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen their kickstarter and I've been intermittently checking in on it. Hopefully they are released soon.

      Delete